Life Settlements Defined
A Life Settlement is the sale of a life insurance policy generating proceeds that greatly exceed the cash surrender value. Policy ownership is changed and the new owner assumes premium payments.
Policies That Qualify
- Universal Life, Whole Life, Convertible Term, and Joint Survivorship policies
- Insured is 70+
- Face amounts: $100,000 – 100,000,000+
- A moderate or major change in the insured’s health since policy issue
The economic environment and financial needs of consumers are changing at an ever increasing rate. People are living longer and the cost of living continues to go up. As a result, insurance policy owners and their financial advisors are taking an increasingly creative approach to meeting those financial needs. The life insurance settlement market emerged as financial professionals and policy owners began demanding that more options be available for owners looking to surrender or cancel their life insurance policies. Life settlements have become a vital component of senior financial planning as policy owners turn to life settlement brokers to increase their liquid capital base. IMS Associates is an experienced life settlement broker that can guide you through that process and ensure the maximum value of every life settlement payout.
When to Consider Selling a Life Insurance Policy
- Premiums are too expensive
- Death of beneficiary
- Client is thinking of letting the policy lapse
- Insurance is no longer needed or has become unaffordable
- Emergency need for capital or to maintain one’s quality of life
- Changing estate planning needs
- Provides capital to purchase a new, more cost efficient life insurance policy, a long-term care policy, or annuity
- Buy-sell agreements, where the owners have retired or the business has been sold
- Deferred compensation plans, where the covered executive has left the company
- Key man policies, where the insured has retired or left the company
Case Example) Male age 75
The owner of this Term Life policy no longer wanted to keep his insurance and was interested making a charitable donation. IMS Settlements was able to sell his policy which allowed our client to make the desired charitable donation.
- Face amount: $1,500,000
- Policy Type: Convertible Term
- Conversion Premium: $87,750
- Cash Surrender Value: $0.00
- Life Settlement amount: $362,000
Why Use IMS Associates?
- The Most Experienced of the Life Settlement Companies
- Life Settlement Education & Awareness
- Transaction Management
- Advanced Planning Background
- Licensing & Compliance